Not long ago, I came across a building about 100 years old - maybe more, maybe less - that had a unique quote carved right into a beam across the front. Take a look:
Now I realize it may be difficult to read but that's okay - the full-sized image does reveal that it says, and I quote, "UNLIMITED GROWTH INCREASES THE DIVIDE".
Of course when I saw this photo opportunity, I hadn't given as much thought to what it was saying so much as I saw the irony of the building with the statement in the foreground and the larger Hydro office tower gleaming brand new and huge behind it. Quite ironic.
With an expanding mind to the world around me as I grow older, I see things that are bothersome and having written articles that talk about the little things we can do to make a difference, I found that I had to challenge myself to walking the talk. Through my coaching I do make a difference in some lives. Through my writing I make a difference in many more. Through conversations I know for a fact that people stop and think about things they otherwise might not have given much thought. This knowledge comes from the feedback of many people.
Even so, on a larger scale, I'm concerned about the big changes that need to happen. They're beyond me and even though I firmly believe that sweeping changes can occur with a groundswell of support of the common person, each stepping forward to make those small changes they can implement. How long will it take? What can you do? The meek only inherit the earth if they exercise their love for one another and take these small steps that lead to bigger steps.
The time is now.
No comments:
Post a Comment